Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Every last bit

If you have ever been unfortunate enough to be in a sewing situation with me, you would know that I hate throwing out scraps. I usually keep everything, even the impossibly small pieces of precious fabric. So when I was trimming the flying geese from this quilt here, I couldn't throw them out. That quilt has some of my favorite fabrics ever and I was not about to put those in the trash. So after sitting in a container for a few months, I made a few half square triangles... I think it was about 230? Something like that.



Then I put them together into 9 patch blocks and squared them up into 9.5" blocks unfinished. The HSTs actually came from two different projects that just so happened to be the same size, lucky duck.



I decided that the quilt would be too small if I didn't add sashing and I ran out of HSTs. I hate cutting into my small (but hopefully growing) Amy Butler stash. Those are my two favorite prints, I use them a lot.



Maybe I will add another section of sashing to the top and bottom, right now it's around a 50" square. I love how colorful and scrappy it is though, delicious. Linking up to scraptastic tuesday and fabric tuesday :) xoxoxoxoxo


Scraptastic Tuesday
Fresh Poppy Design

8 comments:

  1. I don't like throwing scraps either! I guess it wasn't planned but sometimes things work out for the best! Beautiful scrappy quilt. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep saying no scrap is too small! I love this quilt of yours...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt! Wonderful use of scraps :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your scraptastic triangle quilt! I wanted to buy the whole bolt of the fabric with the pink and yellow roses, but I couldn't justify it even when it went on sale at my local quilt store. At least now I am enjoying seeing it in your quilt and knowing that you like it, too. You have a great blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I have a hard time throwing out scraps too although I finally bit the bullet and got rid of the uglies a couple weeks ago. Your lovely quilt is a really great use of your scraps.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt it is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabrics are gorgeous and your quilt is beautiful. I used to throw the corner triangles away but started collecting them a while ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I save my geese leftovers too. Someday I'll follow your lovely example and use them. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete